How To Get A Minor In Possession Charge Dropped

How To Get A Minor In Possession Charge Dropped

How to Get a Minor in Possession Charge Dropped

Being charged with minor in possession (MIP) can have serious consequences for young individuals. It can lead to fines, probation, suspension of driver’s license, and even affect future opportunities like college admissions or employment. However, with the right approach, there are strategies you can employ to try and have the MIP charge dropped. In this article, we will provide you with valuable information and steps you can take to increase your chances of getting a minor in possession charge dropped.

Understanding the Minor in Possession Charge

Before delving into the strategies and steps, it is essential to understand what a minor in possession charge entails. A minor in possession charge typically refers to the illegal possession, consumption, or purchase of alcohol by someone under the legal drinking age. The specific laws vary from state to state, but it is crucial to be aware of the legal restrictions and penalties in your jurisdiction.

Depending on the state, a minor in possession charge may be considered a misdemeanor or an infraction. Convictions can result in court fines, community service, alcohol education programs, probation, or even imprisonment, although the latter is less common for first-time offenders. Having this understanding is important as it will guide your actions when attempting to have the charge dropped.

See also  How To Cook Frozen Sweet Potato Fries In Ninja Air Fryer

Evaluating the Evidence Against You

Once you have been charged with a minor in possession, it is crucial to evaluate the evidence against you. Obtain a copy of the police report and review it meticulously. Look for any inconsistencies, inaccuracies, or violations of your rights during the arrest. Any errors or discrepancies in the evidence may weaken the prosecution’s case and increase your chances of having the charge dropped.

If you believe that any of your rights were violated during the arrest or the search, it is important to consult with an attorney who specializes in criminal defense. They can assess the merits of your case and determine if there are grounds for suppression of evidence or dismissal of charges based on these violations.

Consulting with an Attorney

Regardless of the strength of your case, consulting with an experienced attorney is highly recommended. A skilled attorney can navigate the complexities of the legal system, guide you through the process, and advocate on your behalf. They will examine the evidence, identify weaknesses in the prosecution’s case, and develop a strong defense strategy.

When choosing an attorney, look for someone with expertise in handling minor in possession cases. Check their track record and experience, and make sure they have a good understanding of the laws in your particular state. A competent attorney will guide you through each step of the process, increasing your chances of getting the minor in possession charge dropped.

Pretrial Diversion Programs and Rehabilitative Measures

In some cases, participating in a pretrial diversion program or undergoing rehabilitative measures can also lead to the dismissal of a minor in possession charge. These programs aim to educate, rehabilitate, and address the root causes of underage drinking rather than focusing solely on punishment.

Pretrial diversion programs generally require the offender to complete a set of requirements, such as community service, educational courses, or counseling sessions. Upon successful completion, the charge may be dropped, or the person may be eligible for expungement depending on the laws of the state. This option can be especially beneficial for first-time offenders as it allows them to avoid a criminal record.

See also  How To Fill Gaps In Laminate Flooring

Rehabilitative measures, such as undergoing substance abuse counseling or treatment, can also demonstrate to the court that you are taking the charge seriously and are committed to making positive changes. It may be especially helpful to have documentation of completing these programs or undergoing counseling to present to the court as evidence of your efforts to rectify your behavior.

Negotiating with the Prosecution

In some cases, negotiating with the prosecution can lead to a favorable outcome. This can involve seeking a plea bargain or deferred prosecution arrangement. A plea bargain typically involves pleading guilty to a lesser offense in exchange for a reduced penalty. A deferred prosecution arrangement, on the other hand, may require completing certain conditions, such as community service or probation, in exchange for the charges being dropped.

It is crucial to have your attorney handle any negotiations to ensure they are conducted properly and to secure the best possible outcome. Experienced attorneys have a good understanding of the local prosecutors and can negotiate more effectively on your behalf.

The Importance of Personal Conduct

While you navigate the legal process, it is vital to conduct yourself responsibly and professionally. Your behavior during this time can significantly impact the outcome of your case. Avoid any further illegal activities, comply with all court orders, and be respectful towards law enforcement and court officials. Demonstrating good character may help convince the prosecutor or judge that you have learned from your mistake and are unlikely to repeat it.


While facing a minor in possession charge can be daunting, it is essential to remember that you have options and strategies for having the charge dropped. Evaluating the evidence, consulting with an experienced attorney, participating in rehabilitative measures, and negotiating with the prosecution are all steps that can increase your chances of a favorable outcome. By taking the appropriate actions and conducting yourself responsibly, you can work towards having the minor in possession charge dropped and moving forward with your life.

See also  How To Cast Peloton To Tv From Iphone


1. Can I represent myself in court for a minor in possession charge?

While it is technically possible to represent yourself, it is not recommended. The legal system is complex, and minor in possession charges can have serious consequences. An experienced attorney will have a better understanding of the laws, know how to navigate the legal process, and be more equipped to secure a favorable outcome.

2. What if I am charged with a minor in possession in a different state from my residence?

If you are charged with a minor in possession in a different state, it is important to consult with an attorney familiar with the laws in that jurisdiction. They will guide you through the process, help you understand the legal implications, and develop a strategy to have the charge dropped.

3. Will having a minor in possession charge affect my college admissions?

Having a minor in possession charge on your record may affect college admissions, although the severity of the impact varies. Many colleges ask about criminal history on their applications, and having a charge may impact their decision. However, each college has its own policies, so it is important to research and reach out to admissions offices for specific information.

4. How long does a minor in possession charge stay on your record?

The length of time a minor in possession charge stays on your record depends on the state and its laws. In some cases, it may be possible to have the charge expunged or sealed, removing it from public records. Consulting with an attorney can help you understand the options available in your specific situation.

5. Can the minor in possession charge affect future employment opportunities?

Honesty is typically the best policy when it comes to disclosing a minor in possession charge on job applications. Depending on the job and the employer, having a charge may or may not affect your chances of employment. However, demonstrating personal growth and responsibility by completing rehabilitative measures can strengthen your position.

Remember, this article is a guide and does not constitute legal advice. Consult with an attorney for personalized guidance based on your specific circumstances.

Post Comment